Why “Adventures of An Aspiring Silversmith”?
I have only just discovered working with silver and making jewelry, and I enjoy reading many of the other blogs here at Ganoksin, but I thought that it would be nice to have one that follows the beginner through the process (I am teaching myself) of success, failure, what works and what does not, classes I am taking and lusting after more tools!
I am an Engineer by schooling (B.S. Engineering, M.S. Manufacturing Management), though since I was a small child I have had a natural ability to see how to put to things together. This is my first career and worked as a manufacturing engineer for over 10 years.
I am a Software Engineer by choice. I have been working as a software engineer for the past 15+ years and this is my second career.
I aspire to be a silversmith. This will be hopefully be my third career.
I currently live in California with my sweetie-pie husband (a.k.a ‘the e-man’), and Boots the cat, who adopted us.
- Reading, I suck down books.
- Sewing, and that includes clothing, quilts, anything with fabric. Vintage Kimono silk is my favorite
- Sci-Fi which is any book, movie, tv show. If it is Star Trek – I am there (yes, I even sewed my own uniform). Unlike most girls, it was Scotty that was my hero.
- Rock Hunting.
- Lapidary work – I can make a mean cab but don’t know how to facet – yet!
- History and ancient machines including the Trebuchet, and any kind of sword.